Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

                        

              Two twins, Cath and Wren, are embarking on the adventure that is starting college. Throughout their childhood, they both nourished an almost unhealthy obsession for the popular book and movie franchise, Simon Snow, essentially our Harry Potter. As the years have passed, Wren's interest has waned, but Cath's has not. At all. She writes as a very popular fanfiction author with over tens of thousands of readers. When they both enter their first year at college Wren flourishes and Cath flounders. She has a case of social anxiety and only seems to find comfort in the made up world of Simon Snow. With the help of some wonderfully weird characters, Cath navigates through reality. This is a whimsical story of love in all of it's different forms.

                  This book was absolutely extraordinary in every way. The characters were beautiful and wonderfully developed and real. Like the other thousands of readers who adored this book, I could see parts of myself in the main character. I haven't ever fully connected with a character as much as I did with Cath. I start college next year and, of course, I'm nervous. Really nervous. I'm not exactly a social butterfly. This story served to ease my nerves a little bit and it gave me a glimpse of the future. Even if it's fictional. I so wish it wasn't. Oh man.
                 The romance in this story gave me all sorts of warm and fuzzies. There was lovey dovey stuff without being too cheesy. The one thing that I cannot stand is flimsy, cheesy, overdone love development. It makes me cringe so hard that I start to hate the book. And that's very difficult to do. I love most books. Fangirl made me set the book down at moments for how completely sweet and heart wrenching the interactions between the love interests were. I had to lay back and inwardly squeal from all the giddiness. All in all, this was the best love story I have read in a while. Quite a long while.
                 The supporting characters in this were phenomenal. They weren't cliche at all and I fell in love with them quickly. Cath's roommate, Reagan, was just what Cath needed in her life. She is snarky and stand-offish, but also loyal and caring. Basically the best side-kick a girl could ask for. She played a great role in Cath's opening up. Wren was the perfect contrast to her sister. She is just like every other teenager out there trying to fit in, though I'm sure we don't always want to admit it. Despite their differences, they never lose their connection. I loved the family dynamic in this story. It wasn't perfect, but it was very real. Instead of just focusing on the romance, Rainbow Rowell conquered the bond between family. She executed it flawlessly. 
                  All in all, this book was absolutely awesome. The plot was unique and totally believable. The romance made me smile so wide my cheeks hurt. I fell in love with the characters quickly and they never failed me. Basically, you need to read this book. Right now. Don't wait. It will be totally worth it.
Five stars for you, Rainbow Rowell!

P.S. I read Eleanor and Park before I read this and I loved it too. Though Fangirl definitely beat it. Make sure to check both of these books out.






                   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment