Monday, December 1, 2014

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

My first semester of college is almost over! I'm in my last week of actual classes and then finals are next week. Then I'm done! I'm so excited to be done with the classes. Definitely not my favorite. I don't think there's a single one that I actually mildly like. Hopefully next semester is better. I'm actually taking an english class, so I'm thinking I'll at least like that one.
For my Heroic Quest class, we are supposed to read Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Of course I procrastinated, so I'm going to have to read it it a night, but I can do it! Maybe. I don't really know very much about this book, as I'm only twenty or so pages in, so I'm going to cop out and post the Goodreads summary. Don't hate me!

In Breakfast of Champions, one of Kurt Vonnegut’s  most beloved characters, the aging writer Kilgore Trout, finds to his horror that a Midwest car dealer is taking his fiction as truth. What follows is murderously funny satire, as Vonnegut looks at war, sex, racism, success, politics, and pollution in America and reminds us how to see the truth.


So far, it's pretty interesting. Lots of pictures, which is good, because I need to read this one pretty quickly. Anybody read this one yet? Thoughts or opinions? I'd love to hear them! 
I wasn't really sure where I was going with this post, but I guess I'm just giving you guys an update. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Thank goodness it's finally Christmas season! We already decorated our dorm room, and I am definitely excited! Have a great week!


2 comments:

  1. I did Vonnegut for my senior thesis paper in college - a combo of Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, and Slaughterhouse Five. He was a bit of a tough read for me, but a fun one. I loved the truth hidden in sarcasm. Good luck with your finals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm definitely getting a sense of the sarcasm already! Thank you so much!

      Delete